Our multidisciplinary Energy team at Michael Best Strategies and Michael Best Law has the government, legal, business, and technical knowledge to help clients meet the challenges of — and find new opportunities in — a highly demanding marketplace. We help companies, trade associations, non-profits and coalitions pursue public policy objectives and inform the legislative and administrative process and decisions. The group has un-paralleled relationships with the new Administration and with the new Congress at the highest levels.
We work with diverse entities in the electricity, oil and natural gas, and renewable energy sectors, including pipelines, energy producers, distributors, marketers, investors, lenders, trade organizations, developers, and manufacturers.
Our team’s experience in energy legislation, regulation, transactions, and litigation, which includes leadership positions in state and federal government agencies, state legislatures and the Congress, as well as both renewable and oil and gas trade groups, gives us a 360 degree view of the industry. This enables us to take a “big picture” approach that has proven invaluable where regulatory uncertainty, community relations, and government investigations are concerned in particular. We offer creative, workable solutions regarding fluctuating market conditions, and we help clients leverage new advances in energy technologies.
We advise clients in the traditional and renewable energy sectors on a broad range of matters related to the following areas:
- Energy and Environmental Legislation and Regulation at the state and federal level
- Department of Energy and Environmental Protection Agency Programs and Grants
- Energy Enforcement Investigations & Disputes
- Energy Regulation Compliance & Advocacy
- Renewable Energy & Project Development
- State Public Utility Commissions
In addition, we counsel energy clients on other legal and business matters, such as:
- Environmental matters, including air, water, and manufactured gas plant cleanups
- Engineering, procurement, and construction contract negotiations, administration, and dispute resolution
- Tax legislation, analysis and structuring
- Complex financing, including equity, debt, recapitalizations, and multistep transactions, as well as commercial credit arrangements
- Corporate governance, including business organization and structure, CTFC and SEC compliance, fiduciary duties, and succession planning
- Technology licensing
- Patent prosecution and protection
- Product liability defense
- Labor and employment matters
The Michael Best Strategies energy team draws upon the full resources of the firm, including its senior professionals in Washington D.C and five state and regional offices (Texas, Wisconsin, Utah and the Western States region, Illinois, and Colorado).
The core energy team is comprised of the following individuals:
Michael Best Strategies Energy Team
About Michael Best Strategies
Michael Best Strategies focuses on achieving clients’ objectives through unparalleled strategy development and deployment for implementation, pragmatic guidance on public policy development, and government relations. The Strategies team specializes in a full range of services, including government relations, public policy consulting, grassroots advocacy, public affairs, conference planning, and strategic political relationships. For more information, visit michaelbeststrategies.com.